Even a chimp can write code

Thursday, June 17, 2004

Cleaning up my act

This Life Assessment Quiz I came across while reading Mark Pilgrim's blog tells me I need to clean up my act. I scored an 81 which means I have 19 areas I need to work on. So I am not the 'perfection personified' I thought I was? But that's according to these guys at 'Better Me'. Okay, by now those that know me will have snorted coffee all over their keyboards. I recommend you take the quiz too although I am in no way touting it as relevant or even accurate. It's all-in-one-page, with no form submissions involved, free (as in beer) and moderately interesting. So this is how I see myself:


Physical Environment

  • My personal files, papers, and receipts are not neatly filed away.


  • I do not live in the geographical location of my choice. It's been a year and a half and all those who've told me "Oh don't worry, Rhode Island will grow on you", were wrong.


  • There isn't ample and healthy lighting around me. I have been told the monitor doesn't qualified as a source of lighting.


  • I am tolerating some things at my work place I maybe shouldn't. But I am not the first consultant to be the chief cook and bottlewasher at his job. Nor the last.


  • My work environment isn't nearly as productive and inspiring as I'd like (or as it used to be).


  • I don't back up my hard drive at least monthly. But I doubt I ever will.


  • My bed is not made daily.




Money

  • I do not live on a weekly budget. But I don't necessarily agree that's a bad thing.


  • I do not have a financial plan for the next year.


  • I do not have an up-to-date will.


  • My earnings are not commensurate with the effort I put into my job. No, I am not overpaid.




Well-being

  • I use caffeine more often than I should. Coffee and water are my two favorite diuretics.


  • I eat more sugar than I should.


  • I haven't seen a dentist in 2 years. I have a very low opinion of them. To me they rate between single-celled creatures and pond scum in the overall scheme of things.


  • I haven't had a physical examination in 3 years.


  • Not an eye examination either.


  • I don't walk or exercise enough.




Relationships

  • I never tell people exactly what they can do to satisfy me. Okay that sounds wrong but that's how the statement was posed.


  • I haven't told my mom I love her, in over 3 months.



Well as Ashley would tell me, this blog entry's as out of place as a one legged man in a butt-kicking contest. I hope you will bear with me on that. But I'm just dying to see what Google AdSense ads accompany this entry!

Email this | Bookmark this