Even a chimp can write code

Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Is this really esoteric?

It has been two weeks of sorrow getting Ant to fulfil our product's clustered deployment on WebSphere with pre- and post- deployment customizations. That Ant doesn't support looping was but the beginning of our problems. [When I say 'our' I don't mean to come across as royalty. It just means there were more just myself working on this.] Anyway, all that is a thing of the past. Or so I hope.

I came across this on java.net this morning. Some of you regulars may have already seen this. Martin Fowler has written about DiffDebugging which is just a fancy shmancy name for finding out what recent change caused a regression problem. That something like this has been documented -- against the grain of the Agile manifesto -- doesn't suprise me all that much. What does is that java.net gave it frontpage coverage [if you can call it that. I am never sure anymore.] My question is: doesn't everybody already do this? Isn't that the logical starting point? I don't imagine initiating new team members by letting them in on our team's little secret. That's right son, 'round here we use DiffDebugging. Yes, that will be the day!

Email this | Bookmark this

1 Comments:

  • Of course, when you use an iterative & incremental development process, then the gap you have between 'broken' and 'not-broken' is a lot less (hours at most, and with a small set of changes). Thus, going through the set of differences is a lot easier than if the gap is large.

    This is a precursor to efficent 'diff-debugging', and is covered in Martin's article.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at June 15, 2004 at 8:38 PM  

Post a Comment | Home | Inference: my personal blog