Even a chimp can write code

Saturday, July 25, 2009

Silverlight out-of-browser apps: Remove

Removing a Silverlight out-of-browser app is as easy as installing it was previously. From within the app, just right-click and choose “Remove this application…”.

Just so you don’t wipe away apps by accident, Silverlight will ask you to confirm, and when you do, the app is uninstalled and its binaries are scavenged from the offline application cache.

Data persisted by the app into local data store (Isolated Storage) is not removed. It is still consumable by the in-browser version of the app.

On Mac OS X, dragging the app bundle into the Trash can is another way to remove the app.

In line with our guiding principles which involve keeping the consumer end user firmly in control, keeping it simple and staying out of the way, the Remove experience does not allow the app to programmatically delay, defer or prevent its own uninstall.

Previous posts in this series:

Labels: , , ,

Email this | Bookmark this

3 Comments:

  • Hey Ashish, I found this website the other day when I was looking for some random coding advice. Then I found a very helpful post on MSDN, and how convenient that it was you as well!

    Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for the help! :)

    By Blogger Anuj, at August 26, 2009 at 7:35 AM  

  • Hello Amit, I am planning to replace an activex control with SL4. I plan to use the automation factory for word to print certain documents for the user.

    I understand that the user has to approve of my app which I am fine with, but once an app has been installed, how do I launch the out of browser app from within the javascript and pass parameters to it.

    Thanks in advance!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 17, 2010 at 10:11 AM  

  • Sorry Ashish, I have a very close friend "Amit Shetty", unknowningly I typed Amit instead of Ashish.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at March 17, 2010 at 10:13 AM  

Post a Comment | Home | Inference: my personal blog