Even a chimp can write code

Tuesday, August 31, 2004

What I didn't realize about Eclipse until today

I didn't realize that

  • the View Type Hierarchy option in Eclipse not only lists the super types, it also lists the sub types. For some reason, I used the References option to search for sub-classes. Now I feel stupid and awakened.


  • when you copy a chunk of code from one class to another [shut up, you code reuse zealots!], Eclipse intelligently copies over the requisite import statements as well.


  • if you have the JBoss IDE plugin, and have your JBoss application server running with your application deployed, and you have the Build Automatically option checked, and JBoss runs on JDK 1.4.x, then editing and saving a class results in an automatic hot deploy


Very nifty!

Email this | Bookmark this

3 Comments:

  • I don't get the same result with JBoss that you do. I deploy my war with an ant script and then start the server using the JBoss IDE and edit the file and it doesn't hot deploy....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 31, 2004 at 1:56 PM  

  • Don't create war files. Deploy app in exploded war file format. That will make sure it does hot deploy. Otherwise, you are just changing the class that's in your bin/classes folder, not in the dployed war.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at August 31, 2004 at 6:33 PM  

  • I use the JBoss IDE's deployment option and my EAR isn't deployed in expanded form. If you are in the Java perspective, lookup and expand your build folder from the Package Explorer (I am assuming this is where your EAR resides). Right-click on the EAR and select Deployment -> Deploy To... and choose the JBoss server flavor.

    Once the app is deployed and running, edit one of your classes and hit Ctrl-S.

    Btw, I am using JBoss 3.2.5.

    By Blogger Ashish Shetty, at September 1, 2004 at 8:05 AM  

Post a Comment | Home | Inference: my personal blog